Dr. Kevin Matthews is so wrapped up in his work, he hasn’t found time for love or even casual fun in far too long.
When gorgeous new nurse Mac Winters shows up at the hospital, the attraction between him and Kevin is immediate and intense. After several weeks of flirting and heated stares, they finally spend an evening getting to know each other.
Unfortunately, just when things turn hot and heavy, Mac announces he’s abstaining from sex because he’s tired of hookups and wants something real. Then he surprises Kevin by announcing he’s going to court the doctor. Can two modern men have an old-fashioned romance – and build something true and lasting together -- while taking sex out of the equation?
Publisher: JMS Books, LLC
Heat Level: 4
Romantic Content: 5
Ending: Click here to reveal
Character Identities: Gay
Protagonist 1 Age: 26-35
Protagonist 2 Age: 26-35
Tropes: True Love
Word Count: 13771
Setting: Kansas City, MO
Languages Available: English
- Walking around the Plaza became a weekly occurrence, as they’d found an Italian restaurant there they both loved. After several weeks, the staff were greeting them like family. The place was intimate enough to give them some alone time, but low key enough to wear jeans. The atmosphere was friendly and open and they’d quickly become fans. Nobody looked at them twice as they held hands, talked privately, and enjoyed the romantic ambience.
- After dinner, they would stroll hand-in-hand, making a game of their evening by searching out various statues or artistic displays, including some of the fountains, and learning more about them.
- Once in a while they’d stop in at a few of the shops, but more often than not, they just window-shopped. It was fun getting to know what each other liked and disliked.
- They ended each evening with kisses that still sent currents of electricity shooting through Kevin’s body. He couldn’t get enough of Mac and it was obvious he felt the same about Kevin. But at the end of each date, they parted ways with their relationship still in the chaste category. Kevin’s sexual frustration seemed to intensify by the hour.
- Mac had surprised Kevin several days a week with coffee until it became part of their everyday routine. Kevin had pointed out to Mac several times that he could make the coffee, but he told him not to worry about it. Personally, Kevin thought Mac enjoyed their baked goods too much to stop going there. Although, if Mac kept bringing him sweets every morning, Kevin was going to have to really up his workout game.
- They’d even started lunching together at the hospital whenever their schedules allowed. One afternoon, Kevin overheard Heather telling another coworker how cute they were and he chuckled to himself. Kevin wasn’t exactly sure that was the correct description for two men six feet and over, with muscles and broad shoulders. Brawny, maybe. Sexy would be nice, too. But hey, if they wanted to call them cute, who was he to stop them?
- They texted throughout the day, just simple messages letting each other know they were thinking of them. Never anything earth-shattering, but the messages always gave Kevin those silly warm fuzzies he’d heard about, but never experienced.
- Truth was, he’d never had a man pursue him with such earnest, and as far as he was concerned, this courting thing was underrated. Why society ever gave up on it was beyond him.